23/07/2013

First Day At Work And Some Other News

Hello everyone!
Today was a special day for me. Very special. It was exactly the first day of my working life!! In other words this was the first real working day of my life.
I will try to summarize my feelings in one word: SHOCKED!!!  I feel really strange; like thunderstruck! I keep repeating to myself that this life does not suit me, that I can't leave my house at 8.30AM to come back at 8.30PM and not having time to do anything else. I suppose it is just the first day when everything is so new and despite the fact that the job is really interesting,  it also seems very difficult to adjust to. It is hard, it burns like a disappointment: you dream of doing something all your life and then you don't even understand if you like it when you eventually start doing it for real!

The people in the office are very nice and everyone seems to be extremely friendly. My colleague L. who's also doing an internship, is very easy to work with and welcoming. So as for the working environment I have no complaints. I suppose I just need some time to settle down and learn to love my job. I am sure I am going to love it because it is all I wanted to do and studied for. It will be a fantastic experience. I don't remember it but on my first day at school I might have had the same impression and a strong desire to go back to kindergarten.

Everything else is going as usual. I am still at the B&B because my attempt to find another place did not work out as planned. I am sure I took the right decision but it was hard.

I promised to tell you what happened on the flat-hunting front and I will. I am not going to disclose the names of the people involved but I am going to summarise what happened anyway.

A few weeks ago my mom realised she knew someone from Brussels. We met this couple in Bath and they kindly offered to help once I arrived in Belgium. H is English  and K Belgian.  They invited me to lunch on Saturday. They live in a beautiful neighbourhood a few bus stops from Louise, a really fancy and posh area of Brussels. On Friday H called me to explain how to get there exactly but despite his help I got lost anyway and arrived late. He was waiting for me at the bus stop to make sure that I actually made it. I think he could sense my lack of orientation skills!

Once I apologised and I had given him my 'present', a lousy and touristy Godiva truffles selection (everything was shut on Saturday: welcome to Catholic Europe!), we started walking towards home. The house H and K live is by a lake and surrounded by a beautiful garden. K was there waiting for us with his cousin, a nice lady who used to work for the EU. We had lunch; a very French lunch with salad, fish in a white sauce and raspberry tart (yummy!!).

Once the lunch was over and K's cousin left to join a friend for a tennis match, we three went to see this flat just a few steps from the Louise that K and H bought to move in by the end of the year. Their idea was to let me live there for a while. Once we got there I realised that it would have been impossible. Don't get me wrong here, K and H are lovely and generous people and I am glad that I got to know them because I know I can always ask them for help. My problem was that they were too kind and generous and the flat was so big and nice that living in there knowing that it was theirs with their furniture, the plates and cutlery and sheets etc that they would have got for me was too overwhelming. Accepting their offer would have felt like taking advantage of their kindness but also being in debt with people I don't really know.

What I regret it is not giving up the stunning view from the terrace (yes it also had a terrace!) but probably disappointing them because I felt they genuinely wanted to help and when I was with them I felt really safe like I have known them for a long time. They took it very well but they were so excited about it that I felt bad refusing. Deep in my heart I knew it was an absurd offer, too generous and too kind to take, especially from people that I don't really know.

So now I am back to square one. I am going to see some real estate agencies this weekend to see if I can find a nice studio or a room. I am sure that I will be fine and that if I need anything I can always refer to K and H.

So everyone these are the latest news. As you probably understand I am bit lost here but it will get better in a few weeks and I try to think that I went through worse and I survived. We are all tougher than we think and I am no different from anyone else.

Would you allow me one more complaint? Here is so fucking hot that I want to cry. I feel disgusting and my hair looks horrible!!





No comments:

Post a Comment