19/07/2013

First Post From Brussels

Hello everyone!!
I have finally got to Brussels after a not too long but tiresome journey. For the record I had to carry a suitcase weighing 30 kilos, another 7 kilo bag, my purse and my laptop case containing also ipad and chargers! As a matter of fact I have to start all my journeys always on perfect timing and so I decided it was a good idea dragging all my stuff across Europe during the hottest heat wave  since probably 1600!!!!!

I have to admit it was a bit stressing: I had to run for the taxi at Paddington and prayed for the traffic to move on my way to St Pancras but I met really nice people who helped me carry my stuff so no complaining there. I was so tired when I got to Brussels that I decided to take a cab to get literally 500 meters further! My arms still hurt now!!

The place where I am staying is really nice. The only downside to it is that is just a temporary solution. How I ended up here? Well that's another story but to make a long story short: I stayed in Brussels a couple of weeks ago hoping to sort out accommodation for once I had to settle down properly but getting to know the city was really hard. I asked the couple who ran the B&B I was staying at for some tips and they offered me a room for the time they are on holidays in August!! I have to move out when they get back but it is still a good and cheap solution!!

Having told you that, let's move onto my first day in the EU capital! Strangely enough I already feel quite at home. I don't think I like the city much but it has an atmosphere that feels quite familiar to me. Today I did the usual stuff you do as soon as you move abroad: got a new sim card for my phone (still think Mathieu ripped me off a little but my plan is to go back there once I speak French to make things right!!) and first trip to the supermarket. I find supermarkets very interesting. Don't get me wrong here, I'm not obsessed with food but I think you really get a place and its people once you've seen what they eat and also you can learn lots of useful vocabulary!

I wouldn't describe my trip to the supermarket a great success but I got what I wanted and I had a tasty dinner; so far so good! It was a bit strange though. The shop provided a wide choice and most of the brands I like but the way goods were displayed together with the noise and the confusion made me feel like I was back in Italy. People who know me well are aware that feeling always makes me a bit nauseous! 

I feel really tired now. It has been a long and too emotional day. When I saw from the train the profile of Bath Abbey disappearing I felt a lump in my throat as a part of me was being ripped away violently. I miss Bath and its quiet life, its alleys and the light on its beautiful Georgian buildings. The chaos and confusion of Brussels makes it all feel so far away now! Yesterday night we went with my parents for a lovely walk up to Lansdown Crescent (Bathonians who haven't been there yet should really check it out) and I thought it was a nice farewell to what it is now my hometown. We were able to catch the essence of Bath: the quiet streets, the friendly people, the views and the stunning architecture. 

Now I really need to rest. Tomorrow I am trying my luck to find another and possibly better place to live. It is another long story but I want to wait to see how it ends before telling you. This time tomorrow we will all know already!! 

I attach here some photos of my new place. I am sorry for the quality but the light is not great in here. 

Good Night to You All from Brussels!!







Some people will always be with you no matter what :)

No comments:

Post a Comment