20/08/2013

My fourth week, half in Belgium half at home

Hi everyone!
I'm back! I'm sorry it took a bit longer for this post but I have an excuse; I got back from England late on Sunday night and Monday was already a full day at work!

My third week went smoothly and fast mainly because we worked up till Wednesday and then we had Thursday and Friday off due to public holiday.

Leaving for England brought up so many mixed feelings! I felt like I didn't need to go back because my life there felt so far away. When I got there I had the same impression, like i had left a long time ago. This lasted a few hours,  already the following day I was comfortable back in my Bathonian routine!

The journey there was pretty uneventful, no funny stories there sorry! I thought it was very cool traveling from Brussels to London and having sushi along the way: I felt a very busy and cosmopolitan business woman!!

I had such a lovely weekend back  in the UK! I realized how for me there will always be my home! I don't have to put on a mask or make an effort to understand the mentality, it is all very natural to me. I have also understood why I like it so much; it is because the UK has given me all I needed and wanted, it was the starting point for the life I always wished for myself and I will always be grateful for that. Italy just gave me frustration, disappointment and loneliness, UK made me feel fulfilled! Even though I like my new outgoing and friendlier Belgian self, I always have the sensation that I am overdoing it just to avoid being lonely and miserable hoping that everyone will like me!

My weekend was busy but really enjoyable. On Thursday it was my mom's birthday so the three of us went out for a meal in a nice place in the countryside where I managed to stuff myself with food! My mom seemed very happy and I was so glad to be able to be there to celebrate with her.

On Friday I went shopping with my mom and i got to choose my birthday present :) an then I went out for drinks with some friends from the museum where I used to volunteer. When I came home my mom had prepared lovely gnocchis with cheese, yummy!

On Saturday a friend treated me to a beautiful and tasty full English breakfast followed by a proper and nice catch-up! Then I went out for lunch with a friend from university and had a lovely time catching up as well and telling each other's impressions about our new life after university!

In the evening my mom and I  with a couple of  friendswent out for a lovely meal in Castle Combe, a village made of one row of little cottages and a inn. I love small English country villages. They are so charming and it often feels like having a journey back in the past. Castle Combe is also particularly famous because Steven Spielberg filmed some scenes for Warhorse in the tiny village.

Sunday was just a relaxing day that I spent with my family before catching the train late in the afternoon. The journey back was a bit more stressful as I managed to book two trains to close to each other and so I had to run to St Pancras worrying that I would have never made it, only to find out that the train was 30 minutes late grrr!!!

When I got to Brussels I had to face the cruel reality by fighting for the taxi! I willl probably sound too British but it is so nice and tidy when people queue for the cab BUT not here where everyone jumps in the middle of the street according to the principle that the first taxi to run over you is yours! I decided to follow this unwritten rule and got on a taxi in no time. The driver took me around for a tour of the city and the ride costed me a fortune!! 

Back in Brussels I don't feel that homesick. I didn't cry when I got here but I cried on the way!I realised I have my life already or something like, that and I am not completely lost like other times. I have also still the urge to explore and go beyond what is familiar, so I feel like I have to be here. Being here made me realise that I have a problem when I have to live far from my family. Family has an important role for me, I pretend it is not like that but it is. I think I would like to have a family one day because those are the relationships that never cease to exist, other people come and go but not your parents or children or siblings. I know now that family has a priority and a special meaning for me. 

Belgium is still interesting, but such a mess. Signs don't make any sense and if you follow them you will get lost hundred percent of the times! And then everything is done carelessly. Today I went to the supermarket and managed to buy  tomatoes that were a month old!! weren't they supposed to throw them away?!?

The job is fine, even though I am really not made for administration, my boss is going crazy because I just don't get it and think things true but I did find contacts that are very important for the organisation so I think that prevented me from getting kicked out!! I will learn some day, slowly slowly.

THis is all for my third week! Fourth week coming up soon!!
Good night!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment